Billions of dollars spent every year in U.S. alone on a treatment of lower back. Even more money lost on a productivity. Elderly people are more prone to have lower back pain due to the loss of elasticity of soft tissue surrounding the spine. Younger generation is too busy at work and often times experience lower back pain as well due to prolonged sitting at their desks. There many different pills, supplements, pain relievers, and many other substances that can help relief the pain.
However, many people choose not to take pain relief medicine that contains chemicals and artificial ingredients. Instead, lower back sufferers choose herbal and home remedies. From doctor’s point of view it is not a solution to a sprain/strain injury, or overuse injury. However, these remedies can provide some temporary relief and there are no side effects, unlike NSAIDs. Below is the list of some herbal treatments that can provide lower back pain relief.
1. Combination of concoction of turmeric, some ginger and garlic in a small amount warm water can be used for massaging the painful area. Ginger’s aroma will penetrate a skin layer and will help to relax the muscles of the effected area. This method can be used every day, and it is totally safe without any side effects.
2. Boiling ginger and drinking its juice is a good relief for back pain and sore throat. Keeping it hot and steaming will both help. The warm water that goes to your body helps alleviate lower back pain.
3. Vegetables must be an important part of your diet. Sulty and fatty foods must be avoided at all times. Lower back pain relief can only be achieved by proper monitoring of your diet and daily activities. When in pain, it is always recommended to first try home remedies before taking all sorts of pain killers. If both failed, contact your local Chiropractor.
4. Get into soft diet. Constipation can contribute to lower back pain. Make sure you detoxify daily by eating food rich in fiber. It is one good treatment for lower back pain relief. Here is a list:
Legumes & Lentils: Dried beans, peas and other legumes including baked beans, kidney beans, split peas, dried limas, garbanzos, lentils, pinto beans and black beans. Green beans, snap beans, pole beans, lima beans and broad beans. Dried fruit such as figs, apricots and dates. Fruits like raspberries, blackberries and strawberries, cherries, plums, pears, apples, kiwi fruit, guava, banana. Pears contain more fiber than prunes.Vegetables like Fresh or frozen green peas, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, Sweet corn, beet root, baked potato with the skin, carrot. Greens vegetables including spinach, beet greens, kale, collards, Swiss chard and turnip greens. Nuts such as almonds, Brazil nuts, peanuts, pistachios, and walnuts (Nuts are also high in fat content, read calories in nuts.). But pistachios are the lowest in calories and fat of all nuts, and a one-ounce serving has three grams of fiber. Whole wheat and barley products Rye, oats, buckwheat and cornmeal. Coconut (this is also high in saturated fat).
5. Chamomile and licorice can be boiled together to make tea. You can drink it while it’s still hot. The warm water and the natural scent these herbs produce can help tired and painful muscles to relax and be re-energized.
6. Red pepper is often avoided due to its flavor. However, if you can help it, include red pepper especially cayenne to your diet. It has an ingredient called capsaicin that is best to relax muscles. Meanwhile, there are creams that include this kind of ingredient for lower back pain relief.
7. Another effective lower back pain relief is to hydrate yourself. Make sure you drink 8 to 10 glasses of pure water everyday. Herbs like mint cool the body. You may also drink fresh fruit and vegetable juices.
Unless you have been involved in an accident or strenuous workout, common lower back pain can be treated with warm water and herbal treatments. Stress related back pain only needs to be relaxed and you will feel results in a few minutes.
If pains persist, make sure to make an appointment with your doctor. For herbal lower back pain relief also, you need not be consulted with a doctor, however, if you choose to take over the counter medicines, make sure you check with your medical doctor on what is best in relieving the pain.